Sunday 11 January 2009

Prince Harry & News Of The World Video

So we have a situation where a member of the Royal Family has, in what could be considered a private video diary of his time in the armed forces, captured images which were to remind him of his time serving his country.

In my opinion,whether he should, or should not, have said what he did is neither here nor there. It was a 'diary', which many in the armed forces make, of events experienced and shared with fellow combatants.

To have all the accompanying quotes of condemnation issued is, unfortunately, to be expected, especially from those who should know better.

I wonder of the reaction from these same critics, had the video been made by a member of the 'ethnic minority' and contained 'derogatory' comments about 'white' colleagues.

The question does arise as to how this video came into the possession of a sunday newspaper, one that is known to boost its circulation with sensational journalism.

Trixy and Cranmer, each in their own way, have summed up my own feelings much better than I, so go read as words fail me!

2 comments:

Witterings from Witney said...

Yes I have Mark and voted too! I have also used 'friendly/nonpc' terms in relation to other ethnic groups also. including the Welsh and Scots!

Dungeekin said...

In my seven years in the Forces, I served with the following:

several Paddys;
A couple of Micks (no, that wasn't their real name);
Two black guys, called 'Chalky' and 'Roots' respectively;
An Asian lad called 'Cornershop'.

Were these racist? Nope. They were good colleagues, good naval ratings and good mates. It's just a name. Intent is everything.

This is just something old and irrelevant for the Tabloid Gutter to get themselves aerated about - nothing more.

D